Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Valpak. All opinions are my own, honest opinions. #Pak4ACure
One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. It is a shocking statistic and one that we are all too familiar with in our family.
We have women on both sides of our family who have had breast cancer, from our cousins to our aunts. We have seen how it can happen to anyone – young or old. We even had to deal with a scare when I needed further testing after a mammogram. Luckily, it was not breast cancer. All different scenarios went through my head while I waited for the results. I can only imagine what those that are diagnosed with breast cancer must think or feel when their lives are turned upside down. Because our families have a history of cancer, we are more acutely aware of the risks of getting cancer. It becomes the question that is asked whenever you see a new doctor when it comes to your medical history. We are also aware that is now something our kids will have to think about as they get older.
What we have seen from those family members who have had their breast cancer diagnosed early or diagnosed more recently is that they have been able to survive with the treatment options that are now more readily available. It is a testament to the continued research that is being done to help find ways to cure breast cancer. It is also a testament to how early detection is being encouraged.
The Susan G. Komen foundation’s mission is to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer. There are many ways in which the Susan G. Komen foundation has helped those battling breast cancer. Their bold goal is to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50% in the U.S. by 2026.
There are many ways we can get involved to help them meet that goal.
* Make a donation. It’s easy to do and will only take you a few minutes.
* Participate in a Race for the Cure. The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series is the world’s largest and most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer ever created. The series of 5K runs and fitness walks raises significant funds and awareness for the breast cancer movement, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. The Komen Race Series welcomes people of all ages and fitness levels, from walkers to elite runners.
* Participate in a More Than Pink Walk. The More Than Pink Walk will no longer have a run element.
* Participate in a Komen 3-Day event. This is a three-day, 60-mile walk that’s making a real difference in the fight against breast cancer. In 2016, Susan G. Komen® announced a Bold Goal—to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50% in the U.S. by 2026. That’s why we walk, and why we raise money—to make that goal a reality.
* SAVE $5 WHEN YOU USE THE CODE DealPro DURING REGISTRATION FOR THE RACE EVENTS *
When you participate, donate, or volunteer, you help accomplish this:
Check your Valpak envelope that comes in the mail:
Valpak has joined the community of bold companies that share in the vision of Susan G. Komen for a world without breast cancer. To amplify awareness around this common vision, Valpak will turn its Blue Envelope pink this October during Breast Cancer Awareness Month while also working to raise local awareness within the communities that they serve and funds in support of the fight to end breast cancer.
Valpak’s pink envelope highlights celebrity chef Sandra Lee, a breast cancer survivor and advocate for women’s health, as a “More Than Pink® Hero.” The pink envelope sweepstakes, inviting consumers to nominate a hero who has taken action in the fight against breast cancer. Throughout the month of October, Valpak will share the submitted stories and ultimately 25 lucky winners will each receive a set of pink KitchenAid appliances in support of Cook for the Cure®. The set includes a stand mixer, blender, 2-speed hand blender and a 5-speed hand mixer with a total retail value of over $800. The nationwide October Valpak envelope will also feature a special surprise for 500 lucky recipients, who will instantly win an immersion blender courtesy of KitchenAid by looking through their pink Valpak envelopes and finding a die-cut certificate shaped like an immersion blender.
How will you help the fight against breast cancer?Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for more information.